This is one of my most favorite detox’s because it cleanses our body both internally and externally. We don’t need to follow some crazy food protocol, it only takes 5 minutes, and has numerous benefits including tighter skin, lightening stretch marks or scars, reduces or eliminates edema, reduces or eliminates cellulite, and detoxifies the body.
Why does dry brushing work?
Your skin, the largest organ in the human body of elimination. One third of your body’s toxins are excreted through the skin. Externally, dry brushing helps to unclog pores, stimulates the hormone and oil-producing glands in the skin, and excrete toxins that become trapped in the skin. Internally, dry brushing stimulates blood circulation for the lymphatic system to remove toxins and reduce edema.
Benefits of dry skin brushing:
1. It stimulates your lymphatic system
Dry brushing your skin will kick start your lymphatic system, which helps you remove toxins from the body. The stiffer the bristles on the brush, the better the lymphatic stimulation you’ll create. The longer sweeping strokes are recommended if this is your primary reason for dry brushing.
2. It unclogs pores and de-congests skin
Dry brushing unclogs your skins pores and helps your skin absorb more nutrients. Daily skin brushing promotes healthy, breathing skin. It’s a real treat for the largest organ in our bodies!
3. Dry brushing helps to reduce cellulite
Cellulite is simply toxic materials that have accumulated in your body’s fat cells and are trapped, unable to be eliminated from the body. Forget lipo, dry skin brushing helps to break down any trapped toxins from within the body and help your body eliminate them through its usual elimination channels.
4. It unclogs pores and stimulates the hormone and oil-producing glands in the skin
Dry brushing unclogs your skins pores and helps your skin absorb more nutrients and stay naturally moisturized. Daily skin brushing promotes healthy, breathing skin and promoted hormone balance. It’s a real treat for the largest organ in our bodies.
5. You’ll exfoliate dead skin
Forget your in-shower loofah and body scrubs, this will ensure you have silky-smooth skin all year round!
To get started, follow the simple steps below:
1. Purchase a natural (not synthetic) bristle brush. (I like a simple hand held brush, but less flexible people may appreciate one with a long handle to be able to reach all parts of your body).
2. Get naked and stand in a bathtub or tiled surface if possible (you’ll be shedding microscopic dead skin cells).
3. Begin brushing by starting at your feet and moving toward your heart. You may use long sweeping strokes or short circular motion, but always brush toward your heart.
4. Brush several times in each area, overlapping as you go.
5. Take care as you brush over more sensitive areas, like breasts. Your skin will become less sensitive the more you dry brush. (I don’t brush my face, but you can choose to).
6. Once you’ve brushed your entire body, jump in the shower. (I like to turn the water to the hottest I can tolerate, other people will alternate from hot water to cold water stimulate blood circulation, bringing more blood to the top layers of the skin.)
7. After getting out of the shower, pat dry skin and apply oil or moisturizer of your choice.
8. Continue to dry brush your entire body every day. Twice a day is recommended for best results.
Try this for 30 days and see the results for yourself!
Get your dry brush now!!
I prefer two brushes: a stiff one for the majority of my body, and a softer one for my neck and chest. You can find them here:
Often times the brushes feel really harsh at first, remember to use light pressure, and as your skin becomes used to being brushed it will enjoy the bristles. If you want to soften them simply use the brush in the shower one time and the bristles will soften immensely, let dry.
*Learn about my other favorite detox Rebounding